Louisiana continues to appear at the bottom of lists which run a national comparison of property tax rates.
There’s some competition for the bottom, but the Bayou State clocks in at third nationally with an effective rate of 0.52%, which equates to $1,006 on a $194,000 home - the national median for home value.
Louisiana’s median home value, however, is $152,900, which brings that annual property tax bill to around $795.
Homestead exemption, a $75,000 deduction on a home’s assessed (and therefore, taxable) value brings that number even lower. Homestead exemption is only available for primary residences - and the Livingston Parish Assessor has begun investigating instances of misappropriated homestead exemption benefits.
Within Louisiana, Livingston is ninth highest in the state with an effective rate of 0.53%.
St. Tammany claims the highest spot with 0.82%.
There are 41 districts which assess property taxes in Livingston Parish, they are (Millage rates at left, district at right):
- 2.41 mills, Amite River Diversion (Comite)
- 6.52 mills, Assessor
- 2 mills, Assessor Funding
- 3.478 mills, City of Denham Springs
- 2 mills, Council on Aging
- 10 mills, Fire 1
- 10.64 mills, Fire 2
- 10 mills, Fire 4
- 10.14 mills, Fire 5
- 10 mills, Fire 7
- 16.63 mills, Fire 8
- 10.38 mills, Fire 9
- 10.94 mills, Fire 10
- 10 mills, Fire 11
- 7.18 mills, General Fund (Additional Maint. Fund) -P/W School
- 3.29 mills, General Fund (Constitutional) - P/W School
- 4.43 mills, Gravity Drainage (Dist 1)
- 2.5 mills, Health Unit
- 2.75 mills, Juvenile Det Center
- 11.11 mills, Law Enf Regular
- 10.55 mills, Law Enf Special
- 10 mills, Library
- 1.5 mills, Library Bond
- 2.32 mills, Parish
- 1.16 mills, Parish City/Local
- 15 mills, Rec 2
- 15 mills, Rec 3
- 0.1 mills, Rec 3 Bond
- 0 mills, Rec 5 - Failed
- 5 mills, Road Equipment & Maintenance
- 11.64 mills, School Dist 1 - DS
- 8.19 mills, School Dist 4 - Walker
- 12.25 mills, School Dist 4-1 - Walker
- 5 mills, School Dist 5 - Const - P/W
- 15.17 mills, School Dist 22- Live Oak
- 12.07 mills, School Dist 33 - Maurepas
- 7 mills, Special Maint. 7 - P/W School Special Maint.
- 7.04 mills, Town Albany
- 7.48 mills, Town Killian
- 4.77 mills, Town Livingston
- 2.2 mills, Town Walker
Some districts do not collect funds either due to a failure to pass the tax, or they are defunct. Not all districts collect parish wide, some are regional within Livingston Parish.
The school millages are parish wide, while any funds labeled with a specific school were voted on and passed by the residents of those districts for special projects - including new sports fields and buildings.